Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cocktail Party

A friend was having a cocktail party for her 30th and somehow the stars aligned and I procured a babysitter. What's more, my babysitter were a husband and wife team and they agreed to have one of them drive me to the party and pick me up later, so I actually got to drink the cocktails. Woohoo!
I took a while to choose what to wear. I had a cocktail friendly black dress (seen in this post) but I had another dress that was begging to be worn. 

Photos aren't great, I was in a rush to get my 7 year old to take them before he went to bed and I hadn't done my hair and make-up.


This lovely dress is from Chicstar. I love their range of clothing, but their sizing can be strange. I have a jacket from them sized as 28, but it barely does up on me, and I tend to be 24 on bottom, 22 on top. So this dress was a risk. I ordered a 24, and it fits perfectly around my hips, but is too big on the top. The top tends to ride down. Also I don't have any strapless bras, so I wore a bra with straps, and then pinned a shrug over the top to hide it. The same pins also hold the top of my dress to my bra so there's no wardrobe malfunctions. It sounds more uncomfortable than it is! Once I knew nothing was going to come loose or fall down I was very relaxed.


This silly pose is trying to show you the shape of the dress- it looks a bit flat front-on but it's not! I feel curvy and sexy in this dress. I love swishy skirt, the lace trimmings, the colour, the lace-up detail. The advantages definitely outweigh the disadvantages for me.


Here's me at the end of the night, having enjoyed many cocktails (3). I'm trying to show you my hair and make-up, though there's not a lot of it left. It was fun to talk to other adults about non-kid things! I chatted with some guys about Dungeons and Dragons and computer games, which is a fun night for me.



Outfit Details


Dress: Chicstar (24)
Shrug: Crossroads (XXL)
Earrings: Diva
Shoes: Payless (11)
(Underneath) Bike pants: Autograph (L)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment